phrasal verbs. Take, pick

 Take

  • Take in – Engañar.
    Don’t be taken in by her apparent shyness.
  • Take (it) out on – Hacer a alguien sufrir por nuestro propio sufrimiento.
    I know you are unhappy, but don’t take it out on me!
  • Take off – Imitar.
    Dave takes off the Prime Minister really well.
  • Take on -Adquirir una nueva actividad o hábito.
    My grandmother has taken on a new lease of life since her operation.
  • Take on – Hacer algo extra.
    She has taken on too much with a full-time job as well.
  • Take out – Firmar un seguro.
    Ann has taken out life insurance.
  • Take over – Tomar el control.
    The army tried to take over the country.
  • Take to someone – Desarrollar apreciación por alguien.
    You’ll soon take to your new boss, I’m sure.
  • Take away – Llevarse.
    She took the envelope away
  • Take up – Ocupar tiempo.
    The meeting took up a whole morning.

  • Pick

    • Pick up – Recoger algo o a alguien para llevarle a otro sitio.
      There’s nothing in the fridge so I will pick some sandwiches up from the shop.
    • Pick up – Mejorar.
      The weather seems to be picking up.
    • Pick at – Comer despacio.
      Mauro picks at his food. He eats like a bird.
    • Pick at – Irritar o molestar.
      If you have a mosquito bite, you shouldn’t pick at it.
    • Pick off – Quitar.
      Toni picked the hairs off her sweater one by one.
    • Pick on – Acosar.
      Teenagers always pick on the new kid in school.
    • Pick up – Aprender mediante experiencia.
      picked up a little Korean when I lived in Seoul.
    • Pick up – Acelerar o estar ocupado.
      Miami Beach really picks up in March because of Spring Break.
    • Pick up – Llevar a alguien en el coche.
      Larry always picks me up when I fly into Philadelphia.
    • Pick up – Pagar la cuenta de alguien.
      Anastasia picked up our tab at the bar.
    • Pick out – Elegir algo.
      I told Gina to pick out a new pair of shoes for her birthday present.

Comentarios

Entradas populares