Phrasal verbs. Be, See, Keep,

 Be

  • Be after – Intentar, conseguir.
    What’s he after? Is he looking for proof?
  • Be against – Oponerse.
    I must say I’m against the idea.
  • Be along – Llegar.
    Jack will be along soon. He’s on his way.
  • Be away – Estar fuera por un periodo largo.
    She is away today. She has gone to London.
  • Be down – Estar deprimido.
    The news is bad so John is a bit down today.
  • Be down – Descender.
    Oil prices were down today.
  • Be down on – Desaprobar, no gustar.
    Why is Charlie so down on the new recruit?
  • Be down with – Estar enfermo.
    My mother is down with a bad cold.
  • Be in for – Tener motivos para esperar algo.
    I think we are in for snow today.
  • Be in on – Participar en algo.
    Alex is in on the project too.
  • Be into – Estar interesado en algo.
    He’s into sports and she’s into poliltics.
  • Be off – Salir hacia algún sitio.
    I’m off! I’ve got a plane to catch.
  • Be on – Tomar medicación.
    The driver was on drugs at the time of the accident.
  • Be on about – Querer decir.
    What are you on about? I don’t understand.
  • Be onto – Hacer un descubrimiento.
    My colleague is excited. He must be on to something.
  • Be out – Estar fuera por un periodo corto.
    Where’s Peter? He’s out today.
  • Be out of – Quedarse sin algo.
    We’re out of coffee I’m afraid.
  • Be out to – Intentar conseguir algo.
    He’s out to win the match.
  • Be up – Estar despierto.
    Tom was up at the crack of dawn!
  • Be up – Incrementar.
    The interest rates are up again.
  • Be up to – Tramar.
    What are those kids up to?
  • Be up to – Ser responsabilidad de alguien.
    It’s up to the government to find a solution.
See

  • See through – Descubrir la verdad sobre algo.
    saw through his intentions at once.
  • See about – Organizar, considerar.
    I’ll see about whether we can manage it.
  • See into – Acompañar al alguien dentro de un sitio.
    Her secretary saw me into her office.
  • See off – Perseguir para ahuyentar.
    A cat came into the back garden but the dog soon saw it off.
  • See off – Ir a un transporte para decir adiós a alguien.
    I went to the station to see them off.
  • See out – Acompañar a alguien a la salida.
    Are you sure you’re going? I’ll get your coats and see you out.
  • See through – Continuar hasta el final.
    They had a lot of difficulties in implementing the project, but the team saw it through successfully.
  • See through – Descubrir que alguien miente.
    The police quickly saw through her disguise and arrested her.
  • See to – Encargarse de algo.
    He saw to the arrangements and everything ran smoothly and efficiently.
Keep

  • Keep up – Continuar.
    Well done! Keep up the good work!
  • Keep around – Seguir teniendo algo.
    I have know idea why they keep around this piece of junk. They’ll never use it.
  • Keep at – Continuar con algo difícil
    Jill kept at the puzzle until she put all the pieces together.
  • Keep away – Mantener lejos.
    The warehouse has a guard dog to keep away would be thieves.
  • Keep back – Mantener la distancia.
    The police kept back the crowd by blocking off the street.
  • Keep down – Reprimir.
    Keep down the noise, will you? I’m trying to sleep.
  • Keep from – Evitar hacer algo.
    I couldn’t keep myself from eating the last piece of cake.
  • Keep in – Impedir la salida.
    She kept him in because he had a high temperature.
  • Keep off – Evitar hablar de algo.
    The reporter kept off any the topic of the recent scandal with the politician.
  • Keep on – Continuar.
    Let’s keep on hiking… it’s such a beautiful day.
  • Keep out – No permitir la entrada.
    We were kept out of the club because we were too young.
  • Keep to – Mantenerse firme en algo.
    Let’s keep to the plan. I don’t want to make any changes now.
  • Keep up – Mantener.
    Keep up the good work,” John’s teacher said to him as he handed back his essay

Comentarios

Entradas populares